Wednesday 11 September 2013

CROWNS- STICHES IN THE FLAG

 
So we came to jazz it up

The Cornish self-styled ‘fish-punk’ four-piece released their debut LP Stitches In The Flag in November, and it was a catchy-as-fuck collection of ramshackle folk-rock that lodged in the head like a hammer”

May 2013,  Download line ups released. 40+ metal bands, 2-4 Punk bands.   A lot of bands I knew, a few I didn’t.  Every band i didn’t know of, I sampled.  Of all the bands I checked out, none caught my ear as much as Crowns.  I was in love at first note.  I listened to one song, and then another and then another and before I knew it, I had listened to every song from the album Stitches In The Flag, it was only Saturday and I had already made out my playlist for the week.   It was Stitches In The Flag on repeat.  Was now looking forward to Download more than ever.  I had to change my schedule around to fit Crowns in, but the way I was feeling that week, if Metallica and Rammstein had both been on at the same time as Crowns, I may have been the only man at the Pepsi Max stage getting my punk on.

With Indie folk becoming more popular in the last few years, Crowns are set to top the latest trend.  With their debut album out on their own label ‘Ship Wreckords’, Crowns are on a mission to set up themselves with a unique sound nobody can turn a nose up to.

Hailing from Cornwall, their nod to traditional Cornish folk music is clearly evident throughout their album. From the first track this album lays down what this band are all about.  After that this album gets catchier and catchier with every song. 

The album is full of reference to their hometown of Launceston which can be heard on tracks such as ‘China Clay’  – “people live here more than twice a year” is a clear dig at the nature of Cornwall as a second home location and is a standout song on the album with single written all over it.

The album is full of short, punchy tracks which really give us an idea what Crowns are about.  Although not necessarily a band I would immediately be drawn to, ‘Stitches in the flag’ has impressed me and leaves me wanting to experience their live shows again and again.

At their first attempt, Crowns had me searching in my collection for other folk punk albums. It’s not easy to put a description on the songs, feel good punk maybe? Makes you smirk as you sing down your nose punk maybe? Somebody knew what that feeling was, Spider Stacy from the Pogues.  Who after hearing the magic, invited Crowns to join them on their Christmas tour.  After that it seems to be a rollercoaster of punk fame for the boys from Cornwall. Joining King Blues and the Cerebral Ballzy on tour was just another step on the stairway to stardom.

Warning – Make sure you have at least a free 30 minutes before entering this album into your CD player. So those who are either heavily pregnant or have a problem which means you have to leave the room on call, stay away. This album will not let you go quietly.
 
Blake

No comments: